urgent repair weatherization rehab head start

Weatherization Assistance Program

The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) provides assistance to income eligible households...

Urgent Repair Program

The Urgent Repair Program (URP) is a program funded by North Carolina Legislator to repair houses ...

Rehabilitation Single family

The purpose of the Single Family Rehabilitation (SFR) Program is to encourage comprehensive rehab of single family homes ...

Head Start

Head Start is a preschool for children from low income families...

weatherization urgent repair rehab head start
themed object
Serving Cherokee, Clay, Graham, and Swain Counties, NC.
get in touch

Info Left

This is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s.

HUD Section 8 - Rental Housing Assistance Payment Program

Rental Assistance

The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program is a rental subsidy program funded by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).  The program enables eligible individuals/families to afford standard housing.  To be eligible the applicant must be determined very low-income (below 50% of area median income).  Individuals/families are expected to contribute 30% of adjusted monthly income toward rent and utility expenses; the balance, subject to established cut-off guidelines, is subsidized. 

See the adopted Utility Allowances Schedules.

Housing rental units are inspected to ensure the unit meets minimum Housing Quality Standards before a rental lease is completed and housing assistance payment contracts are signed.  Each year the assisted individual/family is re-evaluated to determine whether their income still permits them to qualify for assistance under the program, and to adjust the individual’s/family’s portion of the rent, if applicable.  Housing units are also re-inspected to ensure compliance with HUD’s Housing Quality Standards. 

Four Square Community Action, Inc are currently funded to assist approximately 469 individuals/families in Cherokee, Clay, Graham and Swain counties.

For Landlords:  The housing unit must meet HUD Housing Quality Standards and the rent must be approvable within HUD Fair Market Rent and Market Rate Comparable.  If you desire to rent a unit under the Section 8 Program you may call your local housing office (in your county) to have the unit listed on our list of available units.  You may also advertise in the newspaper with the phrase “will accept Section 8”.  For more information on HUD Housing Quality Standards please view and/or print the booklet “A Good Place To Live” (link listed below in "For Landlords" Section).

Housing Links

The following links provide useful information for income limits and other housing resources.

Housing Documents

Section 8 Rental Assistance Applications

The following form must be downloaded if applying for Section 8 rental assistance. 

*This site is not monitored for applications.  If you wish to apply for Section 8 Rental Assistance please contact your local Community Services/HUD Coordinator staff person and set up a time for an appointment.  To expedite the process you must either mail or bring you application to the Four Square Community Action, Inc (FSCA) office for qualification before any services can be offered.  You will NOT be eligible to be put on the waiting list until income eligibility is determined and all supporting documentation has been received by FSCA.

*Note:  You cannot save the data you have entered in the form so you must print it before closing the form.


Portability in the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program refers to the process through which the individual/family can transfer or “port” their rental subsidy when they move to a location outside the jurisdiction of the Public Housing Agency (PHA) that first gave them the voucher when they were selected for the program.

New individuals/families may not be able to port immediately, they may have to live in the jurisdiction of the initial PHA for a year before they can port.

Initial PHAs – The PHA that first gave the voucher to the individual/family when they were selected for the program.

Receiving PHAs – The agency that will administer assistance in the area to which the individual/family moves.

For more information on portability you may contact our local Outreach office or see the resource below:


For Landlords

This is a collection of information that will be useful to landlords.

CHEROKEE COUNTY Murphy Carolyn Hyde 828-837-7318
  828-321-4475 Ext. # 233
CLAY COUNTY   Connie Cagle 828-389-6757
SWAIN COUNTY   Jeanie Stephens 828-488-2685
GRAHAM COUNTY   Carson Eller 828-479-3001
HUD Section 8 Director – Sue Ledford
slide up button